differential backup

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
GeorgB

differential backup

Post by GeorgB »

Hi,

I have a problem I can`t seem to figure out.

I run backups at the office to my laptop and then at home from my laptop to my nas.

Simple enough but it keeps syncing all files every time even though only a few have changed.
I played around with so many settings ( and there are a bunch) that I`m not sure if it Arthur or Martha.

So, what do I need to tick?
All I want is that the left side always copies to the right side and if a file is found, that changed, overwrite it, if it did not change, move on.

Pretty much like an differential backup, I´d say.

Tx.

tobias

Re: differential backup

Post by tobias »

Hello,
what you are trying to achieve is actually the default behavior with zero changes to the default settings.

Maybe you should create a new profile from scratch, so you can be sure that no funny settings are chosen.

Run a job in attended mode to test its behavior. Take a look at the Sync Preview. It should show only new or modified files.

If the preview shows old files and wants to copy them, maybe it's because the timestamps do not match, or because for some reason Syncovery cannot see the files at the destination. Both problems are rare, and usually related to protocols like FTP. In that case, don't try changing any settings, but please submit a detailed report with screenshots, especially a screenshot of the Sync Preview, where I can see files that it wants to re-copy.

Important details we need to know is how the files are copied, for example over LAN using UNC paths, or FTP etc.