protected network shares?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
upD8R

protected network shares?

Post by upD8R »

Hi there,

still using v8 but I do have a question regarding (Windows/Samba) Network Shares - is there any option to use such a share as target but WITH credentials entered in Syncovery only?

I would use that to avoid Ransomware impact - usually all my network shares are accessible with the same account as my PC works. By adding another account on the target, which is only used/mounted by Syncovery the access should be rather safe (otr al least safer than now :D )

Veeam is using a similar mechanism and I think this is a good approach.

tobias

Re: protected network shares?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
you can use UNC paths and specify the network credentials under Job->Network Connections in the profile, and choose "Disconnect after profile has finished". While Syncovery is running, it might be possible for other software to use the same connection, but not after Syncovery has disconnected.

In the long run, it might be possible to add a standalone SMB module to Syncovery without using Windows to make the connection. In fact, the Linux version has that. If you have a NAS or a Linux VM somewhere, you could use that to do the copying. Performance will be slower, and you can't copy NTFS permissions that way though.

upD8R

Re: protected network shares?

Post by upD8R »

Many thanks, will look into this!