Monitor copying partial files

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
fletch

Monitor copying partial files

Post by fletch »

There's probably a setting for this that I've just not found yet. As files are delivered to one machine I want to copy them to another one. I'm using Real-time Sync for this. But it starts copying the file as soon as it appears and while it's still being created. No doubt the file was being delivered and writes regularly flushed to disk thus the file appearing before the creation was complete.

It ultimately did manage to recognize when the creation was completed and copied the file again, leaving me with the full/intact file. But that seems a waste to copy the source file while it's still being created.

I do see a setting for Real-time processing delay. But depending on the connection, the file creation on the source machine could take several minutes.

tobias

Re: Monitor copying partial files

Post by tobias »

Hello,
usually this can be fixed by choosing "Database-safe mode: require exclusive access", which is under "Access & Retries" in the profile. Also turn off volume shadowing on the same tab sheet. That way, Syncovery won't be able to open an incoming file and will only copy it when it's complete.

Another way could be to use a File Age filter such as "older than 2 minutes". This is usually needed when downloading from FTP or SFTP, where the database-safe mode does not have any effect.

fletch

Re: Monitor copying partial files

Post by fletch »

Database-safe and no VSS worked great. I can see it "waiting for access" and when the download is complete it starts the copy. Nice!