Different profile behavior when run attended or in background

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
james_c_stein@fd.org

Different profile behavior when run attended or in background

Post by james_c_stein@fd.org »

What would cause a profile to copy different files when run in the background vs Attended or Background with Preview?

I run it attended and it shows no files to copy, I run it in background with preview and it shows no files to copy.
I run it in background and it tries to to copy 500GB of files.

tobias

Re: Different profile behavior when run attended or in background

Post by tobias »

Hello,
this should not normally happen. Can you send log files of a background run versus an attended run (or "with preview") to support@syncovery.com so I can compare them?

You may need to remove confidential info from the logs.

One possible cause is if the attended mode profile is split into parts, so the first preview might be empty, but when you click Start, it continues to scan more folders.

james_c_stein@fd.org

It seems to be intermittent and when I try and gather the specific logs it works as expected. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if I can catch it again.

Perhaps my methodology is messed up. I've got a large folder that I was syncing across a relatively slow link. So I was syncing in batches using attended mode and using remove from list to remove all but a 3-4GB at a time. I'd do this over and over until it was synced. I then enabled the profile on a schedule to run in the background. It started off ok, then I noticed it said 350GB of files to copy so I stopped it. Immediately run it unattended and it will have nothing to copy. If I re-run in the background, sometimes it runs quickly copying a few files that have changed. Other times it will start again to try and re-copy 350+GB of file so I stop and disable the profile again.

I just upgraded to Syncovery v9.18e, build 103, I was running 9.17a most recently.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it could be a problem listing the destination folders, or with the file list cache (if you use "Cache Destination File List"), or it could be a timezone/timestamp issue if you are using FTP.

I believe the same thing could happen in attended mode too, it's just a coincidence that it happened in the background.

Maybe you can check your logs folder to see if there's still one where it wanted to re-copy a lot of files. You can get to the Logs folder via the File menu -> "Show Log Folder...".

Each log file name includes the result summary, so it's usually easy to find the log file that's interesting.

If a log file does not include the result summary, it means that the job is either still running or was terminated unexpectedly (or there was a bug).

james_c_stein@fd.org

Its file system to file system. There is a timezone difference but I have the option to ignore that set.

I haven't nailed down why but Attended mode was missing some files. Perhaps its some esoteric Attended files setting vs background.

Background and background with Preview allowed me to manually target which folders to copy first and I eventually got it all caught up.