How does Syncovery handle transfers when there is an interruption in the internet/network?

General Discussion in English
IMTheNachoMan

How does Syncovery handle transfers when there is an interruption in the internet/network?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I was 5 days in and 95% done with a 1.5 TB backup when we lost internet. Internet came back within 5 minutes. I'm wondering if there is a possibility of corruption of the transfers?

tobias

Re: How does Syncovery handle transfers when there is an interruption in the internet/network?

Post by tobias »

It depends on the protocol being used.

If Syncovery resumed the transfer (which is only supported by some protocols), then it will go back a few Bytes to ensure everything is correct.

But to guarantee that the file is not corrupt, you would have to compare the file. You could manually create hashes on both sides and compare them, or use the Syncovery Remote Service on the remote end to generate MD5 checksums, which can be used by Syncovery's Binary Comparison feature (see Comparison->More).

See also
https://www.syncovery.com/remoteservice/

IMTheNachoMan

Re: How does Syncovery handle transfers when there is an interruption in the internet/network?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

What protocol does it use for BackBlaze B2 with AES encryption?

Is there a way to tell it to restart transferring files that were interrupted in the middle?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Uploads to B2 are chunked and double and triple-checked with hash checksums, so there is absolutely nothing to worry about. You can trust this 100%.

Syncovery will retry the upload of any failed chunk for a while. You can check the log file to see if it succeeded in retrying chunks, or if it finally gave up on the file. If it gave up, it may have restarted the upload from scratch, or skipped the file. In that case it will be uploaded the next time the job runs.

IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

Does the log show you if it skipped a file? My transfer is still going so I can't check.

Any option in the settings to have it completely restart a file if there was a network issue? Even if the chunk is good, still redo the whole file?

tobias

Post by tobias »

You can check the log when it's done.

There is absolutely no reason to start over with the whole file, and there is no option for it. But you could cancel the job. Then if you start it again later, it will re-upload any files completely which still aren't on the server yet.

IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

You can check the log when it's done.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if log would show skipped.
There is absolutely no reason to start over with the whole file
Heh. I'm a very paranoid person. For my critical backups, I'd rather start a file over. I realize that is excessive but that's just me.
But you could cancel the job.
I'm thinking of unattended situations like if there is a big backup going at night and I'm not in front of my PC.
and there is no option for it
Got it. I'll figure something out on my end. Thanks!