invalid volume message when destination folder is already created

General Discussion in English
jewelclark

invalid volume message when destination folder is already created

Post by jewelclark »

I am copying from a NAS to an external drive connected through a Mac computer. I have Syncovery installed on the Mac to facilitate the transfer rather than use the installed version on the NAS. The first folder I copied did not create itself as a folder on the backup external drive although I had the option selected. All the files and sub-folders copied over at the top level and were not organized in the folder that they had originally come from. I am sure I only selected the folder and not the files inside it. So in order to get other top level folders copied over and not have all the files mingled out of their respective folders, I first created those folder names, making sure they matched, in the external destination drive. Syncovery would not allow me to select more than one folder per profile so I had to create a profile for each top level folder, which seems like I shouldn't have needed to do that but there was no way around it as far as I could discover. I then set the profiles to copy from the source NAS folders to the destination folders of the same name on the external drive. After all the folders ran they then displayed in I think the progress area "Invalid volume: /Volumes/Folder Name seems to be the same as / " and then "/Volumes/SeagateBackup/Folder Name." See the attached screenshot. It looked like all the folders copied over with the exception of backup files from a Time Machine backups folder but I'm concerned maybe they didn't do it correctly b/c of what looks like an error. Is there something simple I'm missing?
Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 2.19.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 2.19.37 PM.png (45.76 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
I'm new to using the software so any advice is most appreciated. Thank you!

tobias

Re: invalid volume message when destination folder is already created

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes your jobs are set up correctly this way. Syncovery synchronizes the contents of two paths. It does not create the last part of the source path as a new folder on the destination side. So usually, if your left path ends with a name like "ross", your right path will end with that name too.

You can theoretically synchronize from
/Volumes
to
/Volumes/SeagateBackups

and use the subfolder selection to choose the volumes to copy. That way, you would have only one profile. But personally I have never tried this and do recommend creating a separate job for every volume.

Concerning the error, you need to turn off the VolRefNum check on the Program Settings dialog, tab sheet "More".

But make sure that /Volumes/SeagateBackups is really an external drive. If the drive is not mounted to that path, Syncovery might start copying the files to the root partition (although that would probably just cause an error message).

jewelclark

Re: invalid volume message when destination folder is already created

Post by jewelclark »

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for that clarification! I will turn off the VolRefNum as instructed. Glad to know it is set up correctly! Much appreciated!