Restore Wizard Encryption Keys

General Discussion in English
Simplytoast

Restore Wizard Encryption Keys

Post by Simplytoast »

Hello...

I moved my .INI config file from a PC version to Mac version of Syncovery and ran the restore wizard. Everything works (I’m sure as expected).

However, if I do a change to the (newly created) .CFG file (lets say run three files in the restore instead of two) on the Mac in the restore wizard Syncovery seemingly forgets the encryption key and I need to create a new restore job to have Syncovery recognize and acknowledge the key.

tobias

Re: Restore Wizard Encryption Keys

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks for your forum post!

Did you let the Restore Wizard save the job as a profile and then edit that? And then the password was lost? Or was the procedure different?

Note that the Restore Wizard only needs to be used once, to create and save the restore job, and then you can edit that like any other profile.

Simplytoast

Post by Simplytoast »

That is correct. I ran the restore wizard to create (and save) the job. I started the restore and realize I only specified three files at a time. I edited the restore to allow five files and then ran the profile again and when I resumed the profile it only saw encrypted files rather the decrypted ones and proceeded to copy them.

There were symbols in the encryption field still and the length looked right - but hard to tell as the PW is masked.

tobias

Post by tobias »

OK thanks for the clarification! I will try this.

Simplytoast

Post by Simplytoast »

I’ve only seen this behavior on the Mac. Specifically when moving the configure file cross platform.

Simplytoast

Post by Simplytoast »

tobias wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:28 pm
OK thanks for the clarification! I will try this.
Also, the PC INI file has the key listed in it, I am assuming. I am copying and pasting it just to be verify as well.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Yes it's in there, but encrypted and a bit hidden.

Simplytoast

Post by Simplytoast »

Is there a way to display the key. The one in my notes is still showing encrypted file names, but not sure if that is due to the bug above or another issue as long as I don’t edit the profile I can see unencrypted names.

tobias

Post by tobias »

It could be that the encrypted key from Windows isn't portable to Mac.

Does it still work on Windows?

If you send me the job exported in INI format I can decypher it. You could send it to support@syncovery.com.

Simplytoast

Post by Simplytoast »

Sent to support.

Yes the INI works on the Windows side so I think you are on to something in the portability of the configs between platforms.