Mac volumes

General Discussion in English
kiwi

Mac volumes

Post by kiwi »

When syncing from a pc to a Mac external drive, does it need to be formatted as APFS? The drive I am using is formatted Microsoft NTFS and am getting I/O volume errors reading to it with Syncovery. Thanks for your help!

tobias

Re: Mac volumes

Post by tobias »

Hello,
NTFS is normally read-only on Mac.

You could use exFAT which is compatible with Windows too.

Or one of the native macOS formats.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Great thanks Tobias! :D

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hi Tobias, On this same thought. Turns our I needed to format the drive to MacOS extended journaled for the pc to successfully sync to it with Syncovery. But what I am now also wanting to set up is an external drive on the pc that syncs to a folder in Sharepoint using Syncovery, then sync that back to this Mac drive. In formatting that drive for the pc should that be exFat and then is there some information about how to sync directly with a folder on Sharepoint please? Many thanks!
(I know this is a tedious and convoluted way to get the data I need but we are using OneDrive so I have to use the pc to manage all the data, then I work from the Mac. Its just an elements folder I'm wanting to try this method with, so that I don't burn up too much space too quickly on either the pc, my render machine, or the Raid - hope this all makes sense)

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes if you want to connect the drive to a Windows PC and macOS, then the format you need is exFAT. This choice is available when formatting the drive under Windows.

But maybe you can have it easier. You can use Syncovery to download from Sharepoint directly on your Mac. No need to go to the PC for this.

You just create a separate profile in Syncovery, and for one of the two sides, click the Internet button. Then change the protocol from FTP to Sharepoint or Graph. Enter your Sharepoint domain, such as contoso.sharepoint.com. Then click the first of the two Browse buttons. This will allow you to authorize Syncovery in your web browser, and then choose the Sharepoint library to sync with, in Syncovery.

Then use the second Browse button to choose your folder.

When using the Graph protocol, you may have more choices in the library selection. But in general, both protocols should work fine.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hi Tobias,

Thanks so much for all this information, I'll give it a go.
With regards to syncing directly to Sharepoint on the Mac, I ran into a lot of trouble using Onedrive on the mac so I setup the pc to hold all the cloud data and just sync back to the Mac what i need to use locally. But I may try it just for the elements folder and see how that works. Thanks again, much appreciated!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
thanks for the info. With Syncovery, you do not need Microsoft's OneDrive app on the Mac. You can natively connect inside Syncovery and sync only selected folders.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hi - I really hope this will work, I'll try setting it up over the weekend when I have some time, would solve a lot of issues! I may run into problems with security from the company we are working with. All our data is being stored on their cloud system which we access through one drive, so we go through their company portal, but just for this elements folder it may be ok - fingers crossed.
Thanks again you're very helpful!

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hi Tobias - is this the most current version - version 9.38f build 237

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
apparently there's an update, you can always download the latest version here:
https://www.syncovery.com/download/mac/