Docker (unofficial)

General Discussion in English
Stefan

Re: Docker (unofficial)

Post by Stefan »

I also added a standalone remote service package. See initial post for details.

_rk_

Post by _rk_ »

Thank you Stefan, this sounds like a nice service to the community.

May I ask this dumb question as I haven't used Docker applications before:
Is there a way to define with which Synology account the Syncovery/Docker instance will be launched? I ask because the non-Docker-version of Syncovery seems to have root priviliges and write access to very sensitive system directories, even if used as a random Synology user.

Thanks for your contribution!
RK

PS.: I forgot to mention/explain that I use Syncovery on a NAS made by Synology. There is an install package and instruction available from Syncovery website. But as I wrote above, at least in my installation, Syncovery happens to have access to the root folder and stupidly I managed to brick the whole NAS by syncing some files to the wrong directory. And because Synology NAS also has Docker support, I am hoping to prevent accidents like this and be able to run the Syncovery instance with only the rights of the specific application user.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

First of all: yes, you can run it as a different user. But as this makes no sense for me it was not tested. Just use the default docker possibilities to change user and group it should run. But I would suggest to limit the access where syncovery can access to.

But as it is your first docker container I would suggest you to read how docker works and how to use it. This makes it more clear why it runs as root and how you should use and configure it.

Keep in mind, that docker is not preventing you from bricking the system.