Dropbox has moved its files under MacOS - Implications for backing up those local files via Syncovery

German Support for Syncovery on Mac
mareike1988

Dropbox has moved its files under MacOS - Implications for backing up those local files via Syncovery

Post by mareike1988 »

Hi,

I had Dropbox running on MacOS. All files were synced (none were "online only") and the files were under the user folder.
So I could backup my user folder via Syncovery and included the dropbox files.

Today Dropbox updated and moved all files to ~/Library/CloudStorage. (Explanation: https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/installs/macos-faqs )
It also informs that "online only" files are enabled - and I cannot disable this.

My questions:
- Is there any reason not to just backup the local folder ~/Library/CloudStorage now via Syncovery?
- How does Syncovery deal with "online only" files? are they ignored? Are they downloaded and then backuped?
- Would you recommend sourcing the dropbox backup from the local files or better accessing the Dropbox-account online?

Thanks

tobias

Re: Dropbox has moved its files under MacOS - Implications for backing up those local files via Syncovery

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks for posting this interesting topic!

Yes, I totally recommend not syncing with the local DropBox folder. Instead, click the Internet button and choose the DropBox protocol and let Syncovery download and back up the files directly from the cloud.

Anyway, some comments on the local DropBox folder:

Syncovery cannot cause a download of "online only" files. Instead you may be going to see a lot of notifications from DropBox when Syncovery tries to access the files.

Note that ~/Library/CloudStorage is just a shortcut for
/Users/yourname/Library/CloudStorage

I think it's better to specify the full path in Syncovery rather than using the shortcut symbol ~.

Library is a hidden folder inside your home folder. So Syncovery would actually see that too, if you back up your complete home folder. But the Library folder contains a lot of useless temporary files like Browser cache, so usually you wouldn't want to back that up completely.

mareike1988

Re: Dropbox has moved its files under MacOS - Implications for backing up those local files via Syncovery

Post by mareike1988 »

Thanks. I will go with the suggested route.

mareike1988

Post by mareike1988 »

tobias wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:07 am
Hello,
thanks for posting this interesting topic!

Yes, I totally recommend not syncing with the local DropBox folder. Instead, click the Internet button and choose the DropBox protocol and let Syncovery download and back up the files directly from the cloud.

Anyway, some comments on the local DropBox folder:

Syncovery cannot cause a download of "online only" files. Instead you may be going to see a lot of notifications from DropBox when Syncovery tries to access the files.

Note that ~/Library/CloudStorage is just a shortcut for
/Users/yourname/Library/CloudStorage

I think it's better to specify the full path in Syncovery rather than using the shortcut symbol ~.

Library is a hidden folder inside your home folder. So Syncovery would actually see that too, if you back up your complete home folder. But the Library folder contains a lot of useless temporary files like Browser cache, so usually you wouldn't want to back that up completely.
I DO backup the following folder: "/Users/MyUserName"

So as I do backup that folder the local Dropbox stuff is actually included! But as you say, it is not safe to rely on it or smart as the library folder contains a lot more not useful data..

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, you could either exclude the whole Library folder or at least specific subfolders such as Cache and Caches ...

You can exclude folders by typing these names into the Exclusion Masks, for example:

/Library
or
Cache;Caches

The first will exclude the Library folder only at the top level, whereas the second example will exclude all Cache and Caches folders regardless where they occur in the folder tree.

mareike1988

Post by mareike1988 »

Got it, thanks.

I followed up on your suggestion - but had another problem.
Can you have a look at this?
viewtopic.php?p=2812#p2812